7.05.2011

{our Grandma B's passing}

My Grandma B. passed away a few weeks ago. I feel like I have been preparing since January when she got sick (under my care mind you!). So I felt surprisingly relieved and at peace. I don't remember feeling that way when my grandpa died. I think it helped that I was able to be with her so much in her final years, months, and even days. It was all a process and it gave me a lot of closure.


That doesn't mean that I didn't burst into tears every so often, but like I said, I felt at peace. It was hard telling the kids because Grandma B. has been more of a grandma to them than a great-grandma. They spent almost as much time with her as I did in their short years. We used puppets and showed them how when a person dies their spirit body leaves them and their physical body stays here on earth. They have of course been taught this before but now it seemed very real to them and Jacob cried, even though he was smiling through it.


They did very well at the viewings and funeral and cemetary. Maizie was all smiles when I lifted her to see Grandma at the family viewing. She pointed and said in her cheerful little voice, "Grandma B."




Apparently this is what you do at viewings these days...:)







{Maizie and Sadie showed up in the same dress!}








Since then the kids have talked about Grandma B. and the other day had this conversation as we pulled up to Grandma Cathy's house.


Tate: "Grandma B. is still dead. We gotta wait for Jesus to come get her."


Jacob: "Yah, and heal her."


I love how they talk about it simply and are learning that this is part of Heavenly Father's plan.




Growing up, Grandma and Grandpa B's house was one of my favorite places to be. Not only was there unlimited candy and soda, but there was also unlimited love and attention. I know they had a part in helping me become a confident young women, one who didn't really question who I was or where I was going.




I was at my mom's one day and stayed to help her and her sisters go through Grandma B.'s stuff. They found these old hats and I insisted they put them on.




{Cathy~Jean~Linda}


I was trying to get them to give me a serious face, but really they just look mad.




0 comments: