7.02.2008

And this...

Lindy, this is going to be a long one! Well no pictures of "this one", but my Sunday was so relaxing, I didn't have any work to do for my calling since we had just finished our campout. I got to sit back and really listen in RS, which was being taught by our dear bishop and he gave an awesome message. Like "I should have been taking notes" good message. But he referred mostly to the First Presidency's message in the June Ensign, which was funny because my mom had just sent me an email quoting the same article, it was a keeper (okay, they all are! but this one really related to my life experiences right now!).
So here are a couple of quotes that stood out to me. I didn't understand the title, Safety in Counsel, until I read it and now it all makes sense. The jist of our Bishop's message was to follow the prophet and we will be blessed, with whatever we need in life. Well, I seem to have a lot of needs at the moment, so here goes.

"In our own time we have been warned with counsel on where to find safety from sin and from sorrow. One of the keys to recognizing those warnings is that they are repeated. For instance, more than once in general conferences, you have heard our prophet say that he would quote a preceding prophet and would therefore be a second witness and sometimes even a third. Each of us old enough to listen heard President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) give counsel on the importance of a mother in the home and then heard President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) quote him, and we have heard President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) quote them both."

Loved this!! How can you ignore the counsel from 3 prophets and many more?

"Looking for the path to safety in the counsel of prophets makes sense to those with strong faith. When a prophet speaks, those with little faith may think that they hear only a wise man giving good advice. Then if his counsel seems comfortable and reasonable, squaring with what they want to do, they take it. If it does not, they either consider it faulty advice or they see their circumstances as justifying their being an exception to the counsel.Looking for the path to safety in the counsel of prophets makes sense to those with strong faith. When a prophet speaks, those with little faith may think that they hear only a wise man giving good advice. Then if his counsel seems comfortable and reasonable, squaring with what they want to do, they take it. If it does not, they either consider it faulty advice or they see their circumstances as justifying their being an exception to the counsel."

Wow. That just threw out every excuse I had in the book for things I've justified doing!

"Another fallacy is to believe that the choice to accept or not accept the counsel of prophets is no more than deciding whether to accept good advice and gain its benefits or to stay where we are. But the choice not to take prophetic counsel changes the very ground upon which we stand. That ground becomes more dangerous. The failure to take prophetic counsel lessens our power to take inspired counsel in the future.Another fallacy is to believe that the choice to accept or not accept the counsel of prophets is no more than deciding whether to accept good advice and gain its benefits or to stay where we are. But the choice not to take prophetic counsel changes the very ground upon which we stand. That ground becomes more dangerous. The failure to take prophetic counsel lessens our power to take inspired counsel in the future."

A comment made in our meeting sunday is that it is a lot easier to follow the commandments, not so much the counsel. I think we all forget or don't understand that when it is coming from the prophet, it is the same thing!! He is not just there giving us some good advice. He is there giving us mandatory advice.

"Every time in my life when I have chosen to delay following inspired counsel or decided that I was an exception, I came to know that I had put myself in harm’s way. Every time that I have listened to the counsel of prophets, felt it confirmed in prayer, and then followed it, I have found that I moved toward safety. Along the path, I have found that the way had been prepared for me and the rough places made smooth. God led me to safety along a path that was prepared with loving care, sometimes prepared long before.Every time in my life when I have chosen to delay following inspired counsel or decided that I was an exception, I came to know that I had put myself in harm’s way. Every time that I have listened to the counsel of prophets, felt it confirmed in prayer, and then followed it, I have found that I moved toward safety. Along the path, I have found that the way had been prepared for me and the rough places made smooth. God led me to safety along a path that was prepared with loving care, sometimes prepared long before."

He's got it figured out. I hope I can have the faith I need in my life to be so willing and humble, because this is what happens if I do.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's awesome...I actually just read that article last night and loved it!

Jake and Jessica said...

Well said. I am glad that I can still, receive the teachings that our bishop was inspired to give through you sharing your thoughts and feelings, sometimes I feel a little secluded in the corner of the building. It's not always easy to do what the prophets say, but it is always worth it.

Unknown said...

Our home teacher just gave us this message this week. Even the boys could relate. What a profound message...

Melissa said...

I remember I had such a hard time when President Hinckley said only 1 pair of earrings. It is so dumb but it took me a few weeks to take the earring out of the 2nd hole in my left ear. But I took it out because I thought it would be unwise to not do the little things the prophet asks. This is a really important message.

Kendal and Kendra said...

What a good message! It has been ages since I got anything out of the lesson in Relief Society- so it was good to hear that! It is so important to not forget why we are here, and what we are supposed to be doing! It was good to see you guys the other night- your boys are so cute!